a social network
KES Parents play a very important part in the life of the School. Led by Chairman, Sid Crighton, a group of dedicated parents organise social events throughout the year, from wine tasting, quiz nights and informal coffee mornings to spectacular events scuh as the Summer Ball and the Christmas fair. Events are open to parents at all three schools and getting involved is a great way to meet more people from the School community.
KES Parents meet as a group twice a term to plan events and discuss funding projects. Meetings take place in the Willett Dining Hall of the Wessex Building, with a light supper from 6.30pm and the main meeting beginning at 7.00pm. Meeting dates are published in the School calendar. You are very welcome to join the meetings - don't worry if you can't make every date, please come along when you can. Check the School calendar for the latest dates.
As well as being social, most of the KES Parents' events also raise money for those unexpected extras that you will find across all three Schools. For 2016-17, KES Parents are aiming to raise £12,000 to provide:
- Cedar lodge in the Pre-Prep for outdoor learning and play, whatever the weather
- Water feature for the Junior School's sensory garden, plus large outdoor games and picnic benches
- Sensory and practical resources for Junior School's Learning Support
- Bat detector and night vision camera for the Environmental Action Group
- 3D printer and materials
- Scientific equipment for the storage of liquid nitrogen
- Battery pack for a mobile scoreboard to be used at Bathampton
- Materials for the textiles club
- Anti-choking training vest
Last year KES Parents joined their funds to those donated by individual parents so we could provide some significant items for the new Wessex Building:
- Conservatoire grand piano - provided by the committee and by individual parents
- Reading splash tiered seating area in the library to encourage sharing books both informally and by presentations in small groups - a sort of 'poet's corner'
- A range of brass musical instruments for Junior School pupils, enabling them to try out this form of music within their year group
- Additional beaters for the Junior School steel pans and a carry case to prevent the pans detuning when they are transported for pupils taking part in community events
- Equipping Teddy's Lodge at the Pre-Prep and so helping to create a 'home from home' environment for pre- and after-school care.
nearly new shop
Katherine Spencer and Jo Metcalfe of KES Parents, along with other helpers, run the nearly new uniform shop, which is based in R11, near B Block, en route to the parade ground. The shop is open on Fridays from 3pm and on some Saturdays. The final purchase price of each item is split, with 50% being returned to the original owner and the remaining 50% going into funds raised by KES Parents.
Welcoming new parents
KES Parents organise drinks events and coffee mornings at the start of each year to welcome new parents to the School. They also help out at Open Days, sharing their perspective with those who are considering King Edward’s School for their child.
Social events organised by KES Parents are open to all parents and are advertised on this site and through the Schoolcomms email facility. We look forward to welcoming you.
Even if your children have now left the School, you can still be a member of KES Parents and attend events and so easily keep in touch with friends made through the School over the years.
If you would like to join KES Parents, please contact:
Tel: 01225 820361